Saturday, March 26, 2011

Owie, Owie, Ouch, Ouch

As promised, I'm continuing the Blog from where I stopped. So today's entry would be for Wednesday, March 9th.

The web site for the Segway tour is amazingly comprehensive. http://www.dallassegwaytours.com/
And they even go so far as to have a page of photos taken just for your own particular group: http://www.dallassegwaytours.com/Photos/March11/03-08-11-1/1.html

One small fact that they don't touch upon is that riding a Segway is exercise. I don't know why the idea didn't occur to me beforehand, but it didn't. I guess that I thought that one just stood still up top and moved ones arms to get the thing to move. But there is more to it than that. You are moving your ENTIRE bod - booty and all!

For example, if you are going along a hill crosswise, to keep things upright and yet traveling in the proper direction, you must lean your body towards the hill but keep your weight towards the Segway, if that makes sense. After about half an hour, I found myself sort of dancing on the machine. Like riding a bike, or skiing, or roller skating, after a while it becomes instinctual. And the Segway involves the whole body to get it to move. Lean forward and you go forward. Lean forward a lot and you go forward FAST. Lean forward a lot and turn your hand to the left and I would imagine you would fall down. But in a most spectacular fashion.

The three of us on my tour were not of an age to be leaning forward a lot, but our tour guide told us that on some tours there are hot dogs who have to try it. And they do, and they fall down and everyone laughs at them so they don't do it again.

Anyway, I digress.

I slept like a rock. And when I finally woke up, realized that getting out of bed was not going to be an easy undertaking. Not only did I have muscles that were sore, I had muscles under muscles that were complaining. And I do quite a bit of walking, and have a moderately physical job, so am not TOTALLY out of shape. But, boy, did I hurt! So I, gently, rolled out of bed to get some breakfast.

Thank heaven for room service! And for the lovely hot water in the shower that came sprinkling down without end! It helped a little, but not a huge amount, so I decided that a "stay close to home" day was called for. And I did just that! Napped, read the paper, watched t.v.

My friends came in town Wed. night, so they came over to my hotel and we hung around in the living room and caught up on who was doing what, and how silly we were way back when and drank oodles of Diet Pop.

A low key day. But a Very Nice Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment